Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hannukah 2011

This is a picture I took at the Tomb of Rachel
Okay, so Hanukkah has come and gone and I didn't even write about it so I thought I would at least say something here. Now that I've had a Hannukah here in Israel I will say this. I have much more respect for Jews in the States. I mean Hannukah is a minor holiday for Judaism but for Americans it is a very big deal. When I was living there I often wondered why? Why do so many of us make Hannukah a big party. I, now, appreciate the fact that the social pressure on American Jews is great. The one way American Jews can define their faith, is during the pressures of the Christian festival. So, this year it caused me to pause and both appreciate being here and appreciate the struggle even I had while in the States. This fact exactly illustrates the struggle the Maccabies had against the Greeks. The Jews were surrounded by a culture that denied their right to practice their own religion and socially made it taboo. During this time Israel saw many of it's own people taking part in the practice of the Greeks . They were called Hellenist Jews. I remembered being in the States and seeing some Jews actually taking part in Christmas. At the time I didn't think anything about it. It seemed fine and harmless. The Jews who did celebrate it didn't believe in the religious part of it so what was the harm. I realize now the danger. It doesn't take believing in it to cause Jews to go away from our own way of life and faith. It is our actions that make the difference no matter the intention behind it. So, I dedicate this entry to my brothers and sisters in America and pray that they will stay strong and faithful until a time when they themselves can come back home to live.


(They fact is here in Israel, for most Israelis it is barely a thought except for one thing. This phenomenon has a name...it is called...  Sufganiot... aka... DOUGHNUTS! Yes you heard it correctly. While in the states most of us had Latkes... Here in Israel it is doughnuts. During Hannukah they are everywhere. Children know that during this time they will get more sugar in one week than they will get for the whole year. It's funny how it works. Everywhere you turn and in every store you can imagine they are there. Women complain but then give in to the pressure of  'The Doughnut'. lol )

2 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing your perspective.

    sorry you didnt get to sample the vast varieties of latkes that many families make in Israel.

    write on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The correlation to the Maccabees was wonderful. The picture is amazing. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete