Thursday, December 8, 2011

Here I am

  So, I now live in Israel which is something I never thought I would sasy. As a Jew in the States I never really felt the same way as many do about moving to Israel. I know it is a mitzvah and an obligation if at all possible to live here but I never really cared about such things. Now that I  am here that has changed. I've  heard the stories of other people far more talented than myself sacrificing their standard of living and security of life just to live here. I've  been impressed with the shear number of people who are determined to make it here no matter what. I know that for many non-Jews this sounds a bit crazy. Why would we come to this land, with enemies all around us and the world dying to get rid of us, and struggle to make it here when we had perfectly legitimate lives in other countries? Well, the truth is not all of us have had as great a life as we American Jews have enjoyed. In the States we take it for granted that Israel is here. We are in a type of Ivory tower far removed from the struggle here. Despite that many of us do end up  drawn to this land. It has been in our family for thousands of years. It is our home. It is where we long to be. It is where many of us... belong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment